We’re building the best savings account in the world of the future.
It’s our mission to empower the mobile-first generation to save, invest and build real wealth seamlessly, effortlessly and innovatively.
We’re sick of tradition. We’re tired of doing things the old way; the way our grandparents did it. We’re bored by out-of-date processes designed to fit one type of person.
We want to challenge the idea that only the rich can become richer; that only the experts can understand finance; that only the mogul can find the best returns. Because why should we accept that? Potential isn’t a limited resource. Wealth isn’t either.
We’re kicking down the door on what’s been done, rejecting the hand we’re dealt, and we’re rewriting a new future for wealth management; one where everyone wins. A future defined by automation, machine learning and cutting edge technology.
We're always improving. We’re continually building ways to make saving and investing space easier, more inclusive and, well… not boring. Because when you start to build real savings, the opportunities aren’t boring at all.
Without the worry of savings, you have more time to think big, think about the future. You have freedom. Chip is the future of savings and investing, and we’re not going to stop until the whole world knows it.
Chip is being built by a fast-growing team of designers, developers, customer service professionals, marketers, banking experts, and entrepreneurs, with the backing of more than 11,000 investors and a huge community of Chip savers.
We're growing fast and we have some very exciting plans. We're looking for a Principal Engineer to help us make them happen.
Come join the excitement.
As Principal Engineer in the Product and Engineering team you’ll be reporting into the CTO, this is a key role in guiding the engineering squads to deliver the solutions that will fuel the business growth.
Principal Engineers develop, document, and test software to ensure that the software meets the needs of end-users and achieves business goals. Principal software engineers provide technical leadership and guidance to development teams and oversee the technical and architectural aspects of all projects.
The Principal Engineer’s responsibilities include recommending the engineering approach to resolve software issues, improving the functionality of existing software, and ensuring that the design, application, and maintenance of software meets the quality standards of the company. You should also be able to mentor, guide, and train other engineers.
To be successful as a Principal Engineer, you should be able to evaluate the customer’s needs, time limitations, and system limitations when developing software. A stand-out Principal Engineer is one who is up to date on new technologies and software development practices.
What you can expect to be doing:
- Leading the design of a world-class systems architecture that is reliable, secure and scales to our customer requirements
- Managing tasks and priorities for all software features, to ensure they are planned, managed, executed and delivered with clarity and on time.
- Ensuring that engineering approaches are properly planned and designed to be secure, stable and scalable.
- Defining, communicating and enforcing engineering best practices that are consistent across the engineering teams.
- Leading the architectural strategy of the engineering teams
- Designing, coding, and debugging software.
- Improving the performance of existing software.
- Providing training to other engineers.
- Recommending new technologies that can help increase productivity.
- Supervising and overseeing the technical aspects of project deliverables.
- Collaborates with stakeholder teams to define deliverables, roadmaps, and accompanying documentation for projects and initiatives.
- Investigating software-related complaints and making necessary adjustments to ensure optimal software performance.
- Regularly attending team meetings to discuss projects, brainstorm ideas, and put forward solutions to any issues.
What we’re looking for:
- Experience of building high performance payments systems
- Experience of leading the development of a high performing, secure platform within the finance or fintech industry.
- Experience as a principal engineer in technology teams/departments of multiple companies, working with teams of at least 40 developers.
- Experience of delivering technically complex projects and innovative solutions.
- Ability to lead technical discussions and of guiding the team to arrive at the most optimal solution.
- High level of personal maturity, pragmatism, flexibility, and resilience.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to establish and maintain good relationships with people.
- Strong verbal and visual presentation skills.
What we’re really looking for: ✍️
Although we’re in the financial space, and under the scrutiny that comes with it, the current engineering team works well together, and even sometimes with a smile. We’re sure you’ve got the technical skills, otherwise you would have stopped reading by now, so let us be clear in what will make us want to work with you.
We want a real person, with interests outside of code, to join our work family. You could be a dancer, a gamer, a musician, a parent, a hockey fan, or even that one person that still writes Twilight fan-fiction. Doesn’t matter to us. At the interview stages will be looking for empathy, eq, fun stories, and ability to smile even when things are tough. Code monkeys need not apply.
- £80,000 - £100,000 per annum dependant on experience
- Share option scheme.
- Workplace pension scheme (Employer: 3% / Employee: 4% / Tax Relief: 1% / Total: 8%)
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity
- Flexible working arrangements
- Unlimited holiday (28 days contracted but policy not to count) ✈️
- Annual £1500 Personal Learning Allowance
- Free Classpass membership or gym membership
- Company laptop
- Opportunity to have a huge impact on our product while fast-tracking your knowledge, responsibility and skills in a high growth fintech startup.
Our Interview process: 📖
- Video Interview with someone from our Talent team
- Take home technical test
- Video interview with the Squad Lead
- Final Interview with HR & Product Manager
Note to Agencies
Chip does not accept unsolicited CVs from recruiters or employment agencies in response to any of our live roles on our career page. Chip will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee relating to these unsolicited CVs. Chip explicitly reserves the right to hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited CVs, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Chip.